Increase Adsense Earnings By Making Channels Targetable

After a fairly long absence from blogging, I’ve been working behind the scenes to tidy up my sites so that I can start posting again. I had so much admin to do and emails to reply to, that’s it taken me a week to write my first post!

One email that had lain unread for a long time was one from my adsense rep asking me to add targeting to my google adsense units. My rep recommended that I do this for my more adsense units with higher CTRs, so that advertisers could target their ads to these ad units rather than units performing more poorly.

You can make one of your existing custom channels into a targetable ad placement by following these steps:

  1. Log into your account at http://www.google.com/adsense
  2. Under the AdSense Setup tab, visit the Channels page
  3. Under the ‘AdSense for content’ subtab, make sure you’ve selected custom channels.
  4. Click the radio button next to the channel you’d like to make targetable, then click the corresponding ‘edit channel’ link.
  5. Click the checkbox marked ‘Show this channel to advertisers as an ad placement’ and fill out the relevant fields plus a description for your channel. Keep in mind that advertisers will see the external name and description, so you want to provide something accurate and informative.
  6. Click ‘Save channel’.

Advertisers will now be able to target your ad placement. Keep in mind that if your placement spans across several websites, advertisers will see it split up into a separate ad placement for each site. Please also be aware that if you change the placement name in the future, you’ll lose any existing advertiser bids for that placement.